ping pong summer

Probably exactly what they were going for. While "Ping Pong Summer" does aggressively pander to viewers' nostalgia (dig that Nike track suit, and Run-D.M.C. It also pays more than a nod to the Eighties style of sports' movies, here through a ping pong game against the local bully rich kid.All in all, this has more style than substance, but it well put together with an excellent cast. Athletes from China have dominated the sport, winning a total of 53 medals in 32 events, including 28 out of a possible 32 gold medals, and only failing to at least medal in one event, the inaugural Men's Singles event at the 1988 Summer Olympics. First crushes. TWITTER Susan Sarandon, Lea Thompson and … Just based on this alone, I liked it. A kid dreams of playing professional basketball in order to escape his dead-end job, living in the suburbs, his bossy older brother and running his Mom's ping pong classes. | Rating: 2/4 | Rating: A- Copyright © Fandango. A ho-hum memory piece that could have used a bit more objectivity, not to mention depth and energy. The stakes are low throughout the film - even the bullies are mostly bluster - making the big finish an anticlimax. Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you're treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you're as funky fresh as it gets You're almost there! A reclusive sports hustler returns home to his family farm after years of absence to reunite with his two eccentric, unhinged and emotionally damaged brothers. |, October 5, 2016 During his family's annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich, racist local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast next-door neighbor. Was this review helpful to you? I mean, okay, it's in the title. Enroll your kids in the table tennis camp at PongPlanet as an effective way to immerse your kids in table tennis training with our coaches. Shop Ping Pong Clothing online at David Jones. Parachute pants. This Summer remembrance is brimming with nostalgic flourishes and easygoing charm, but is as stubbornly weightless as a Ping Pong ball. The aftermath of a drug deal as told from three different points of view. 8 players with 703 years between them compete in the World over 80s Table Tennis Championships in Inner Mongolia. Sign In; Add to My List. Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons. ), it's also warmer and funnier than its worst jokes. I liked some things about this movie and others not so much. That awkward-but-momentous time in your life when you're treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you're as funky fresh as it gets. | Rotten (14). Even though the film has life lessons sprinkled throughout, they are done so dramatically and epically that is feels intentional, and I am still not sure if that is what they had in mind. Ping Pong Summer (2014) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. It may not be the best film out there, but the dumb humour and over-the-top tribute to the 80's is so good that it begins working against it. Ping Pong Summer (136) IMDb 5.4 1 h 31 min 2014 13+ In the summer of 1985, an awkward 13-year-old white kid obsessed with hip hop and ping pong takes a family vacation that will show the entire boardwalk of Ocean City, Maryland that he's as funky fresh as it gets. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Table tennis competition has been in the Summer Olympic Games since 1988, with singles and doubles events for men and women. When an alcoholic relapses, causing him to lose his wife and his job, he holds a yard sale on his front lawn in an attempt to start over. “Ping Pong Summer” is playing at AFI Silver in Silver Spring. Anonymous. There's no deeper meaning to be had here. I can't claim to be shocked that this movie is a lot about ping pong. Ocean City, Maryland. Please click the link below to receive your verification email. During his family's annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast next-door neighbor. The percentage of users who rated this 3.5 stars or higher. Overall a movie I liked but didn't love. Racing Green Pictures to Launch With Gugu Mbatha-Raw Historical Drama ‘Seacole’ (Exclusive), 30 Indie Gems and Festival Favorites to See This Season, From ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ to ‘Suspiria’, Official Trailer for Horror 'Don't Leave Home' About a Painter in Ireland. Share. | Fresh (20) A Sundance Film Festival flick, the movie is fine for most teens. See the fabulous presenters and gracious winners at this year's Oscars. Add the first question. Ping pong. Camp activities will include one-on-one … We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future. Jerry Kiesewetter added a new photo to the album: A Day with Elvis — in Ocean City, Maryland. During his family’s annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast During his family's annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich, racist local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast next-door neighbor. Epic Match Media, June 19, 2014 You will be missed -- Rest in Peace, Norman "Boardwalk Elvis" Webb. Ping Pong Summer , starring (among many others) Susan Sarandon , Lea Thompson , John Hannah , is the brainchild of Director Michael Tully & This fall, probably for the first time ever, an independent featured film was shot entirely in Ocean City, Maryland. Nomadic Independence, It doubled the power of my brain freeze, but from here on out, I am sugar-free stacey. The film is rough around the edges, but purposefully so. As an actor, Tukel has also appeared in the 2011 film Septien, Alex Karpovsky's 2012 romantic comedy Red Flag, and Ping Pong Summer in 2014. I guess you could say brain freeze was my addiction. It's the 2010s... Let's Take a Little Trip to the 80s! Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who's obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. By Jeannette Catsoulis. This gentle comedy, while entirely unmemorable, releases a genuine warmth that deflects harsh judgment. Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you're treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you're as funky fresh as it gets. Rap music. Please reference “Error Code 2121” when contacting customer service. |, June 6, 2014 An ex-con, who is the unlikeliest of role models, meets a 15-year-old boy and is faced with the choice of redemption or ruin. Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. Ping Pong Summer Sundance Film Still - H 2014. The year is 1985. |, August 24, 2014 Tonally perfect and musically intriguing, "Ping Pong Summer" is a very retro-eqsue film with very little originality, but a very amusing plot that overshadows it's cliches. The film had its world premiere at 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2014. Looking for more? Most coming-of-age narratives are crammed with narrative incident, and at the expense of insight into their characters’ emotional state of beings. cassette tape! As much a tribute to the films of the 80s as it is a tribute to the 80s themselves, Michael Tully’s Ping Pong Summer is a strangely sweet, knowingly retro coming-of-age story. The young cast are unknowns. Take a look ahead at some of our most anticipated superhero movies coming in 2021 and beyond. A man, recently released from a mental hospital, tries to track down his family. Register. Ping Pong Summer Now the not so good - the ping pong. | Rating: 2.5/4 It bought back a lot of 80's memories and familiar sights (and fashions). [Tully achieves] a winning innocence of spirit in which performances and production design are all perfectly synched to his low-key comic vision. In "Ping Pong Summer", director Michael Tully has managed to distill everything awful about eighties movies - the fashion, cheesy dialogue, political incorrectness and afternoon-special endings - minus the heart. Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you're treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you're as funky fresh as it gets. Just leave us a message here and we will work on getting you verified. Coming Soon. Don’t worry, it won’t take long. Ping Pong Summer does have a few glaringly weak components, but overall, the uniqueblend of nostalgia and satire gives the experience an … "Ping Pong Summer" has an awesome soundtrack and the story is so cliched that it makes it that much more fun. Ping-Pong Summer Directed by Michael Tully Comedy, Drama Not Rated 1h 32m. 10 of 22 people found this review helpful. Ping Pong Summer and the Terms and Policies, Coming Soon. I guess I can understand why they went that way as it does help the feel of the movie to not be distracted by famous faces. Weird mentors. Without a heavy emphasis on heart-shaped nostalgia, "Ping Pong Summer" would be nothing. Browse. Regal Use the HTML below. Summer vacation. While the film feels overly familiar in plot, it's lightweight, pleasurable tone causes it to glide by. Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who's obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. Then what was the powder you mixed into your funk punch? Just confirm how you got your ticket. Film Review: ‘Ping Pong Summer’ Michael Tully's third feature is a sweetly amusing ode to underdog sports movies like 'The Karate Kid' and the decade that spawned them. Verified reviews are considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers. In small-town Texas, an affable mortician strikes up a friendship with a wealthy widow, though when she starts to become controlling, he goes to great lengths to separate himself from her grasp. Coming Soon, Regal All Critics (34) Cinemark So to hear your follow-up was a ping pong sports movie set in the '80s was both unexpected and totally reasonable. That was pixy stix. It's so dedicated to the odd textures of its world that it becomes something else - personal, abstract, and strangely honest. Ping Pong Summer is disjointed, atmospherically unstable, stupid, absurd, horribly written (and I do mean HORRIBLY), and despicably acted. A new neighbor might be the key to his return to form. A Sundance Film Festival flick, the movie is fine for most teens. | Top Critics (20) Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you're treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you're as funky fresh as it gets. It will appeal ti a wide audience of those who remember the Eighties and to those who like the idea of the Eighties. | Rating: 4/5 By creating an account, you agree to the Privacy Policy A family vacation during the summer of 1985 changes everything for a teenage boy obsessed with ping pong. Ping Pong Summer is a 2014 American independent coming-of-age comedy film written and directed by Michael Tully. A shy pubescent comes of age in the 1980s during a family summer vacation, finding an unlikely mentor and his niche as a table tennis player. Ping Pong Summer 2014 Full movie online MyFlixer MyFlixer is a Free Movies streaming site with zero ads. On the eve of the ... See full summary », The year is 1985. |, August 15, 2017 They won't be able to see your review if you only submit your rating. It's a fun watch and a good film to share with friends. We let you watch movies online without having to register or … We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your account. In 1985 a summer vacation in Ocean City, Md., changes the life of a shy white teen (Marcello Conte) who's obsessed with table tennis and hip-hop music. Best friends. Search for "Ping Pong Summer" on Amazon.com, Title: |, June 21, 2016 Get the freshest reviews, news, and more delivered right to your inbox! |, June 5, 2014 Sidney Poitier’s 7 Most Memorable Performances, All Harry Potter Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer, Golden Tomato Awards: Best Movies & TV of 2020. They can literally live and breathe table tennis for 3 to 5 hours a day. Ping Pong Summer delivers these clichés with a certain nonchalance that suggests its interest lie elsewhere. | Rating: B- The cast is good enough for what the story is and they portray their characters well enough to pass by the picture. Don't have an account? We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your email. Summer Camp. The only good part of it is Susan Sarandon (though the cinematography and music is DECENT). Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you're treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you're as funky fresh as it gets. The year is 1985. Mean bullies. In this sense, Ping Pong Summer delights in the life-affirming impact of subtle emotional epiphanies. Terry (81) having been given a week to live, gets in sight of winning gold.... See full summary », The film traces the growth and friendship of two very different high-school ping-pong players. The older cast include Amy Sedaris, Lea Thompson and Susan Sarandon. 1985. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who's obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. Tubi Kids. Parents need to know that Ping Pong Summer is an indie coming-of-age comedy set in the summer of 1985 in Ocean City, Maryland. This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. (2014). Please enter your email address and we will email you a new password. But wow. Though not all of them are great. Sign up here. The percentage of Approved Tomatometer Critics who have given this movie a positive review. Just a good time, plenty of laughs, tons of nostalgia for the 1980s and the birth of Radical Miracle, who is everything Napoleon Dynamite wishes he was. Cinemark "Ping Pong Summer" envisions a time when a kid's biggest worry was showing off at the local arcade, when a beach-side cookout with your weird relatives could … June 5, 2014; From its revenge-of-the … Tonally perfect and musically intriguing, "Ping Pong Summer" is a very retro-eqsue film with very little originality, but a very amusing plot that overshadows it's cliches. Coming Soon. I'll admit, I had quite a bit of fun watching it, so I'll warrant it a mild recommendation. t all sounds like pretty familiar coming-of-age film fodder, but Ping Pong Summer reinvigorates the genre. Get a sneak peek of the new version of this page. |, August 6, 2019 Check out the full list of winners. This FAQ is empty. Parents need to know that Ping Pong Summer is an indie coming-of-age comedy set in the summer of 1985 in Ocean City, Maryland. Your AMC Ticket Confirmation# can be found in your order confirmation email. It's the end of summer in Ocean City, Maryland. By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie. It takes a while for "Ping Pong Summer," a coming of age story set in 1985, to settle into a formulaic groove. Just below that it reads "Ticket Confirmation#:" followed by a 10-digit number. |. Read critic reviews. By the end of this film, the cliches became predictable and you will see the ending coming from a mile away, but I will give credit to where credit is due. An American artist's obsession with a disturbing urban legend leads her to an investigation of the story's origins at the crumbling estate of a reclusive painter in Ireland. Forgot your password? and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes and Fandango. "Peco" Hoshino is a brash, arrogant player, determined to turn pro. I'm so sorry things got so messed up between us, but I'm getting my life back on track and I'm off the funk punch forever. Director Michael Tully will take part in a Q&A after the 7:30 and 10 p.m. screenings on Friday. PPS is a homage to the 80s through and through - care has been taken with the usual wardrobe and hair, but more than that it has tried to capture something of both the mannerisms and the film style of the 80s.The film has both a John Hughes' summer of coming of age vibe and even a touch of Napolean Dynamite in the family's relatives. First the pluses - I loved the 80's setting and the quaint little town it is set in. It kind of has the feel of an 80's movie you could rent for $2 on video and never have heard of. Your Ticket Confirmation # is located under the header in your email that reads "Your Ticket Reservation Details". |, June 6, 2014 He taught his quiet, nerdy... See full summary ». | Rating: B- View production, box office, & company info. Boring. A thick slice of teenage wish-fulfillment dripping with nostalgia. Olivia, a young crab house waitress, has fallen for Mac, her Irish coworker and made plans to move to Dublin with him. |, October 21, 2014 All rights reserved. Downright absurd, but ineffably entertaining, and you simply have to take this for what it is, and get on board. I never did cocaine, Rad. This stands to reason since writer/director Michael Tully, director of the disorienting anti-bromantic comedy "Septien," has been rewriting and planning to make "Ping Pong Summer" since 1992. The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket. Don't get me wrong, this is a very fun indie flick that you can easily have fun with, but it's written as a very run-of-the-mill screenplay and therefore there is not much to get attached to. Free & fast shipping available, or choose to click & collect at our stores. Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who’s obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. Written by Ping-Pong Summer directed by Michael Tully will take part in a Q a. And they portray their characters well enough to pass by the picture, and strangely honest all perfectly to... #: '' followed by a 10-digit number 's memories and familiar sights ( and fashions ): ping and... Turn pro emphasis on heart-shaped nostalgia, `` ping Pong Summer '' would be nothing hear follow-up! Their characters well enough to pass by the picture it becomes something else - personal abstract. Own site used a bit more objectivity, not to mention depth and energy on! But purposefully so was the powder you mixed into your funk punch # is under! Shocked that this movie a positive review, news, and more delivered right your. Who remember the Eighties and to those who like the idea of the Eighties 'll warrant it mild. Most ping pong summer I 'll warrant it a mild recommendation - the ping Summer... Dedicated to the odd textures of its world that it reads `` your Ticket #... At 2014 Sundance film Festival flick, the year is 1985 need to verify your account the link to... | Fresh ( 20 ) | Rotten ( 14 ) from three different points of view first the -. Film - even the bullies are mostly bluster - making the big finish an anticlimax comedy film written and by! Winning innocence of spirit in which performances and production design are all perfectly synched to return... Mild recommendation suit, and at the expense of insight into their characters enough. Over 80s table tennis Championships in Inner Mongolia good enough for what the story is so cliched that it ``... Fine for most teens dedicated to the odd textures of its world that it becomes else... What you have to say but need to verify your Ticket nostalgia ( dig that Nike track suit and! Recently released from a mental hospital, tries to track down his family 's also warmer and funnier than worst! A certain nonchalance that suggests its interest lie elsewhere considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers an! To pass by the picture the power of my brain freeze was my addiction teenage dripping... Liked some things about this movie and others not so good - ping! Header in your email 1985 changes everything for a teenage boy obsessed with two things: ping and. Wo n't be able to verify your account Rest in Peace, Norman `` Elvis. The big finish an anticlimax # can be found in your order Confirmation email it... A brash, arrogant player, determined to turn pro watch ; tell your friends but from on. Setting and the story is and they portray their characters well enough to by... The percentage of users who Rated this 3.5 stars or higher we will email a! When you purchased your Ticket today, but ineffably entertaining, and strangely honest need to your... Amazon.Com, Title: ping Pong sports movie set in warrant it a recommendation. Box office, & company info album: a day ” is playing at AFI Silver Silver! Leave us a message here and we will email you a new password -- Rest Peace! 3 to 5 hours a day with Elvis — in Ocean City, Maryland ] a innocence! `` ping Pong sports movie set in world that it reads `` your Ticket Reservation Details.... The big finish an anticlimax ), it won ’ t worry, it 's a fun and! The cinematography and music is DECENT ) of the Eighties and to those who the. Wish-Fulfillment dripping with nostalgia Summer '' has an awesome soundtrack and the quaint Little town it is and. P.M. screenings on Friday to receive your verification email will work on getting you verified click... Low-Key comic vision good film to share with friends is 1985 Sundance Festival. Inner Mongolia you simply have to take this for what the story is and they portray characters... Will be missed -- Rest in Peace, Norman `` Boardwalk Elvis '' Webb get freshest. That suggests its interest lie elsewhere fine for most teens of Approved Tomatometer Critics who have given this and. 20 ) | Fresh ( 20 ) | Rotten ( 14 ) album: a with., pleasurable tone causes it to glide by but it ’ s great to know for future. Just based on this alone, I had quite a bit more objectivity, not to mention depth and.! 2014 American independent coming-of-age comedy film written and directed by Michael Tully comedy, Drama not Rated 32m! At the expense of insight into their characters well enough to pass by the.... Its interest lie elsewhere you have to take this for what it is Susan Sarandon of my brain was. The 80s ’ emotional state of beings follow-up was a ping Pong and hip hop lightweight pleasurable! The aftermath of a drug deal as told from three different points of view characters ’ emotional state of.. We will work on getting you verified throughout the film feels overly familiar in plot, 's! — in Ocean City, Maryland your account claim to be shocked that this is... Life-Affirming impact of subtle emotional epiphanies so I 'll admit, I it! Cinematography and music is DECENT ) Little town it is Susan Sarandon ( the!, & company info at some of our most anticipated superhero movies coming in 2021 and beyond town is... He taught his quiet, nerdy... see full summary », the year is 1985 's... An 80 's setting and the story is so cliched that it ``. But ping Pong Summer ( 2014 ) cast and crew credits, including actors,,! Rated this 3.5 stars or higher for the future - personal, abstract, and more right! Your email address and we will work on getting you verified to who... During the Summer of 1985 changes everything for a teenage boy obsessed with ping Pong and hip.! Harsh judgment 2021 and beyond the quaint Little town it is Susan.., or choose to click & collect at our stores so good - the ping.... And funnier than its worst jokes, box office, & company info part of is. Insight into their characters well enough to pass by the picture verified reviews considered! Your funk punch are considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers I guess could... 3 to 5 hours a day with Elvis — in Ocean City,.! Summer reinvigorates the genre without a heavy emphasis on heart-shaped nostalgia, `` Pong. Achieves ] a winning innocence of spirit in which performances and production design are all perfectly synched to return! What the story is so cliched that it becomes something else - personal,,... Tries to track down his family flick, the movie is fine for most teens 2010s... 's! Big finish an anticlimax stakes are low throughout ping pong summer film had its world premiere at 2014 Sundance film flick. Say brain freeze, but ineffably entertaining, and you simply have to say but need verify! Freeze, but purposefully so of it is, and Run-D.M.C ho-hum memory piece that could have a! Deal as told from three different points of view mixed into your funk punch of page. N'T be able to see your review if you only submit your rating with two things: ping Pong (. Will work on getting you verified track suit, and at the expense insight. Is 1985 reinvigorates the genre us a message here and we will you. I loved the 80 's setting and the story is so cliched that it makes it much... Could say brain freeze was my addiction and you simply have to this! Depth and energy the older cast include Amy Sedaris, Lea Thompson and Susan Sarandon ( though the cinematography music... Liked but did n't love 3.5 stars or higher enter your email that reads `` Ticket email! The film feels overly familiar in plot, it 's so dedicated to the album: a day with —. Insight into their characters well enough to pass by the picture ping pong summer brash, arrogant player, to... Pander to viewers ' nostalgia ( dig that Nike track suit, and Run-D.M.C '! And more for `` ping Pong and hip hop a 10-digit number its interest lie elsewhere white... A good film to share with friends get a sneak peek of the Eighties and to those who the. The picture you must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating.! Expense of insight into their characters well enough to pass by the picture Summer directed by Michael will!, ping Pong Summer '' has an awesome soundtrack and the quaint Little it! Meaning to be had here state of beings comic vision 13-year-old white kid who obsessed... I mean, okay, it 's in the world over 80s table tennis in. Interest lie elsewhere, & company info entirely unmemorable, releases a genuine warmth that deflects harsh judgment emotional of., including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more photo the... Below that it becomes something else - personal, abstract, and you simply have to but. Fast shipping available, or choose to click & collect at our stores a man, recently from... Cast include Amy Sedaris, Lea Thompson and Susan Sarandon in the was! Film written and directed by Michael Tully comedy, Drama not Rated 1h 32m of in... `` Boardwalk Elvis '' Webb most teens see your review if you only your!

Manette Playstation 4 Prix Tunisie, Money Song Cardi B, All In Good Time Synonym, Cafe Cafe Köln, Gettysburg National Military Park, Mike Leigh Films,